Posted 5/26/2020 in Regional Medical Center
As Regional Medical Center (RMC) moves to resuming more services, we recognize the importance of having a support person with you for your healthcare in some instances. We all need support and with healthcare it is even more crucial at times.
For the safety of patients and employees, RMC will continue to limit visitors but may allow the following support person visits as noted.
NO VISITORS/SUPPORT PERSONS will be allowed for patients hospitalized with a respiratory illness.
- Non-respiratory patients may have one identified support person per patient stay.
- Inpatient support person for a Medical/Surgical/Intensive Care patient will be allowed in the patient’s room for two hours maximum per day; M-F 7AM-5PM and Saturday 7AM-12PM--use Entrance A; Sunday 1-5PM--use Entrance E. Support person will need to provide proof of identification. Will be accompanied by a staff member when in transit to and from the patient's room via secured elevator.
- Emergency Department patients will be evaluated by a provider first before the support person is brought back to assure the patient is non-respiratory. Support person will go back to their vehicle until notified.
- Obstetric patients may have one support person per patient stay.
- Patients who are at the end-of-life may have two visitors at a time.
- Patients who are minors (under the age of 18) may have one parent or guardian.
- Patients undergoing surgery may have one support person and remain in the patient room or return to their vehicle.
- Once the support person leaves the patient room, they must leave the hospital.
- Patients coming for other appointments may have one support person if needed. If able, it is preferred you come alone.
Support person must:
- Be well (no fever, cough, or sore throat)
- Not live with someone with respiratory illness (no fever, cough, or sore throat)
- Not live with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days or live with someone with a pending COVID-19 test
- Not have traveled outside of the U.S. in the last 14 days
- Over the age of 18
- Answer screening questions and have their temperature taken upon entry
- Wear a face covering they bring with them (e.g. mask, scarf, bandanna, etc.). It must be worn at all times.
- Practice hand hygiene upon entering and exiting a patient room. Hand sanitizer dispensers are available throughout the facility.
- Stay in the patient’s room once in the department. If you leave the patient’s room, you need to leave the hospital.
Exceptions may be made for a support person to be with a patient under certain situations. This will be determined on a case by case basis.
All guidelines are subject to change without notice.
As a reminder, when you come to your appointments at RMC or Regional Family Health:
- Please wear a face covering to your appointment (e.g. mask, scarf, bandanna, etc.)
- It is preferred that children do not come with you to your appointment
- If you have respiratory symptoms or a fever, please call us before your appointment
- Everyone is being asked screening questions and having their temperature taken at our facility entrances
For trusted information and updates related to COVID-19, residents are encouraged to visit regmedctr.org/covid-19, coronavirus.iowa.gov, idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus, or cdc.gov/coronavirus.