|Cardiac event monitoring is used to record a patient’s heart rhythm when symptoms are experienced. |
Event monitoring involves wearing a very small, portable, EKG recorder over a period of time that can vary from weeks to 30 days. During the time the monitor is worn, you will be encouraged to go about your usual activities. When having an event such as dizziness, palpitations, shortness of breath, fainting spell, or chest pain, just push a button to record what is happening with your heart.
Heartbeats that are too fast or too slow may cause light-headedness or fainting. Since an irregular heartbeat might not last long enough to show up on an electrocardiogram, cardiac event monitoring can help pinpoint the cause when the heartbeat irregularity occurs. The recorded data can be sent over the phone for analysis. The rhythm strip will be forwarded to your ordering practitioner.
Appointments are Required
An order from your healthcare provider is necessary to schedule your appointment. Please contact Respiratory Care at 563-927-7354 to schedule. When you come for your appointment, enter through the Main Entrance on the west side of the hospital and register at Lab/Radiology/Respiratory Care, located just past the Auxiliary Gift Shop. Please wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing and bring a copy of your medications with you.
At the end of your 30 days or designated time period, return the monitor to RMC's Respiratory Care Department, and we will be responsible for returning the monitor to Biomedical Systems.
Instructions on Usage
To record an event:
- Firmly press the record button until you hear a tone, then release the button. You will hear a pulsating tone during the recording.
- When the recording is complete, the monitor will beep twice.
To transmit the recorded event:
- Dial 1-800-743-3832 or 314-576-1596
- Identify yourself to the BMS representative.
- Unplug the lead wire. The monitor will beep once.
- Press and hold the “send“ button until the monitor displays the phone symbol, and you hear a tone. Then release the button.
- Set the device on a flat surface and place the mouthpiece of the phone over the record button. The monitor automatically transmits your stored ECG data which can take up to 5 minutes. When the tone stops, the transmission is complete.
- Once the recording has been transmitted, pick up the receiver and talk to the representative.
- After receiving approval from the representative, reconnect the lead wire to turn the monitor back on.
- Events can be transmitted 24 hours a day 7 days a week.